Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What's Up?


What's Up?
Originally uploaded by Buckeye
A lot! I am in the Top 9 of the My Favorite Things Stamping Idol contest. I'm so honored to be a part of such a talented group.

This week our challenge is to use masking and here is the card that I'm submitting.

As I took a look at my My Favorite Things stamp sets, I was drawn back to my set "It's A Jungle Out There". I did some masking with my audition card so I really couldn't replicate that. So, I decided to stick with just one animal and create a herd, so to speak. Do giraffes hang out in herds?

And, as I thought of giraffes I kept seeing oranges, browns, yellows and sunsets. And, that is how this card was born.

I stamped the giraffe image with Marvy black dye ink and masked it, to stamp another giraffe behind it onto Neenah Solar crest white cardstock. I then thought a third giraffe was needed so I reversed the image. I took the round image from the Build a Bouquet set and made a sun. This was masked too, slightly behind one of the giraffe's head. The sun was stamped using Hero Arts Vanilla shadow ink.

I colored the giraffes using Copic markers. I then covered the giraffes and the sun with my Versamark pen and clear embossed to create a resist.

At that point, I dusted off my brayer and brayered a gradient of colors including Adirondack sunshine yellow, Adirondack sunset orange, and Seashells sandal dye ink. The horizon was created using a mask I made from torn Post-It notes and with sponging.

Brads, computer-generated sentiment, colored cardstock, patterned paper, mesh, and a paper piercer were also used to create this card.

If you like this card, I hope you will vote for me on the My Favorite Things forum on Splitcoast. You are definitely going to want to check out the contest. The entries are guaranteed to "wow" you.

2 comments:

Chris said...

An absolutely stunning card and if you don't win the contest with this card then nothing is right! Your scene is inspirational and very beautiful. I'd love to know how you reversed your giraffe image, that's a fantastic idea. The colours of your sunset are perfect for a savannah scene. Chris :)

Jenny Gropp said...

Oh -- this is amazing. I do think giraffes travel in herds. I think. I just love the card you made. Good Luck to you!!!!! Great job on the background and the sun!