Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Fall is Near


Pumpkins
Originally uploaded by Buckeye
No it isn't! As a teacher looking at the upcoming academic year, I'm saying, "No it isn't". Then why the fall card?

Well, I decided to go ahead and take this image that I colored in my hotel room in Milwaukee and turn it into a card. The interesting thing was, I only had a few of my Copic markers with me. I can't recall which ones, but I know I only had three shades of each color, as I didn't want to fly with my entire set. My point...you can do a lot with just a few markers. You don't need every single color that is made....sure, they're fun to collect...but, it is kinda an interesting exercise to limit your markers and see what you can do with them. You start to see that you can have two shades of a color just by "wet shading" with the same marker (just one orange marker). Highlights can be made with a lighter color (in this case, yellow) and shadows made with a darker color (reds, browns).

This image was an image I received to color during the certification class earlier that day. My guess is it is stamped with Memento Tuxedo black ink on Neenah Solar White paper. It is a Karen Lockhart image. I figure it is better to turn it into a card, rather than have it sit in my folder.

Though I'm not ready for fall, it was fun making this card.
Close Up

3 comments:

Marisa said...

You did excellent with the coloring. Do you really have that many copic markers? I just started buying some myself and I am experimenting with them. Can you give some feedback on the certification classes. I am planning on taking one of these certification classes myself. Here is a link to my blog.
http://marisa-isa.blogspot.com/

Marisa

Debbie said...

I'm not ready for Fall, either, but then again, summer lasts way into October here. We really don't have Fall in So Cal. Yeah, I know, cry me a river. Oh, and your coloring is wonderful. I love coloring with oranges and browns. I love how the yellow background sets the image. Very nice.

laos348 said...

You did some gorgeous coloring and I like the layout you designed.