Sunday, November 02, 2008

D is for Dog ATC


D is for Dog ATC
Originally uploaded by Buckeye
I signed up to be an angel for an alphabet ATC swap on SCS. I think I just like saying that I'm an angel.

Anyway, I was drawn to this swap from the beginning because it called for participants to make alphabet ATCs that were geared for children just learning the alphabet. I resisted temptation initially because I just know how busy I am in the fall, but when I noticed this swap needed an angel for the letter D, I knew I had to give way to temptation and join.

As I decided on the design, my professional knowledge kicked into high gear. I wanted to make a design that highlighted the letter D on white paper...since that is what most books use. It is important for print to be on white emergent readers. I wanted the relationship between the symbol and the picture to be clear, without distraction. Yet when I had the letter D from Impression Obsession and the dog image from Penny Black, the letter and picture was competing with each other. I then added the bouncing ball stamp from Hero Arts, thus successfully implementing the rule of threes in design. I decided not to color in the ball, as I didn't want it to compete with the d/dog relationship.

The dog is colored with Copic Markers and Prismacolor pencils, stamped with Memento Tuxedo black ink onto Georgia Pacific cardstock. Versamark Black Onyx ink was also used to stamp the word and the tennis ball.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Aww, a cute little weiner dog.

Hey, you know that Peeps stamp you have? Who makes it, do you know? I think I really need to get some.