Monday, April 21, 2008

Like The Flower Needs The Rain


Like The Flower Needs The Rain
Originally uploaded by Buckeye
I'm taking Julie Ebersole's course on card design...since I'm such the layout challenged stamper that I am. Here's a card for my first assignment, which was to look for inspiration around you...even in song lyrics.

Well, America's "I Need You" is a song I listen to almost daily because it very much touches my heart and communicates how I feel about a love lost so long ago. I took the line, "Like the flower needs the rain" with the inside sentiment being "You know, I need you". Not that I'll ever, ever send this card...but, I must say, I like it.

I focused on the message and the mood the lyrics convey, which is why I chose to use darker, "rainier" colors for the images and patterned paper. The flower is a very much neglected Hero Arts stamp. I used Zig Markers to color directly onto the stamp and then misted with water. I stamped the image onto watercolor paper. I masked the flower, and then used a solid palette stamp from Rubber Stampede and then applied Sea Shells Cloudy blue dye ink onto the stamp. Again misted and stamped over the flower. I somehow came up with a layout choosing blue papers over some green papers which looed way better....because I was trying to convey a sad, somber mood. I wrote the sentiment with my own handwriting...I think because of space issues, and well, to truly make the sentiment personal.

Fun assignment. I've got some more ideas in my brain that I hope to see to final product this week. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

laos348 said...

Very pretty - I like how you did the flower and the rain in the background is just perfect.